Wednesday, January 16, 2008

benched

i just accomplished my roll-off checklist and my clearance form. i must say, this is it. finally, i am done here in my project.

the 2-year employment bond is the only thing that kept me in this company. i only stayed for a year and 4 months in my team - so that would mean that i still have 8 months left before i could try my luck on other companies.

looking back, it seems that it was just yesterday when i first got a glimpse of everyone. i remember, the hr recruiter was pushing me to start immediately but much to my dismay, the project is still unprepared for my roll-in: i had no workstation, no logins, no employee number, no access badge, and a lot of things i didn't have. well, i think that was too much especially when they are anticipating a new joiner. the team that i joined was also new, i.e. no process at all. there has been issues - politics, et al., and a lot, has happened. everything has settled eventually, and i'm leaving with pride.

i joined the company since i wanted to build a career. then i learned that management has a different plan for me - a path that is no different from that in the previous industry that i've been. clearly, expectations were not properly set. i felt that i'm in the military - i have no say and i'm expected to obey orders. though the path was to go up, the options are not too much as my experience and training is totally different from what the skill sets of the majority of projects have. hence, i expressed my desire to leave my team.

i am happy thought that finally, my request was granted. but now, i've got nowhere to go yet. i have 2 options though. first, i have applied for a workforce transfer so i could be in a field that i have always been hoping for since i was in college. second, if the offer on my first option is not as good as i have expected then i could stay on my current workforce and start from scratch, i.e. experience what a normal new joiner would undergo - trainings, bootcamps, bench.

now, all i could do is wait for my deployment details. i'm technically benched. floating. i'm looking at a bright side though - i'm finally building my own career.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Dean,

Good luck sa bagong project. Buti naman grinant nila yung request mo. Well, usually naman trina-try talaga nilang i-grant yung mga ganyan (within reason at kung me paglalagyan).

I-express mo na gusto mong ma-onshore ha... yun ang mistake ko dati. Hindi tuloy ako naging priority sa onshore opportunities. Yun nga lang... baka madagdagan ang bond (not sure, baka iba na pala ang rules nila ngayon). :-S

KRIS JASPER said...

well, everybody starts somewhere.. just ensure that ur happy with whatever endeavours u'l hav.

Good Luck.

arjay said...

new year na kase, kaya marami dapat new.

nga pala na-download at napakinggan ko na yung mga performances ni Cecille Licad. mas lalo tuloy akong naeng-ganyong matutong tumugtog ng piano. haha.

. said...

Goodluck. May you find the desired career you are looking for. :)

x said...

hey dean! wow, long time since i last visited. :)

i wish you happiness and health, wherever you are now. take care and always have fun.

Dabo said...

cheers! it's gonna be alright!

Anonymous said...

ok lang yan. ang isipin mo may work ka at yun ang mahalaga. and you are earning. marami dyan sa paligid walang trabaho.