Tuesday, October 16, 2007

introductions

define: corny

  • A term in common usage meaning sentimental, obvious or old-fashioned, out of it; "Critics dismissed Bob Hope's last special as corny and ...www.variety.com/index.asp
  • bromidic: dull and tiresome but with pretensions of significance or originality; "bromidic sermons" wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

- - -

College. Baguio. Alone. I was 8 hours away from home. There was I, living on my own.

I knew no one when I entered my first class. I don’t remember where I first sat, but our Geology11 professor arranged our seats based on our surnames so I had to move. The person beside me suddenly uttered, “Matagal na tayong magkatabi pero hindi pa tayo magkakilala. Ako nga pala si Jeff” (We’ve been seated together for so long; however, we haven’t introduced ourselves yet. I’m Jeff). He took out his hand then I found myself shaking his hand.

“That was weird”, I said to myself. First of all, we’ve only been seatmates for less than a minute. And, do we really have to shake hands?

- - -

Personally, I find a handshake during introductions too formal. I would do it without hesitations in a business setting but doing it for a simple introduction, say with a friend, would be too awkward for me.

Corny. Baduy. Whatever!

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not being rude. Hindi lang ako sanay.

When I met my new boardmate this morning and took out his hand, I hesitated. Well, I just finished brushing my teeth and my hands are still dripping (take note: with clean water, not with my saliva). Anyway, I got my towel and shook his hands since I don’t wanna be misunderstood. Prior to that, I signaled that my hands are still wet but he didn’t take his hands back.

So, don’t expect me to offer my hands in case we (you and I, whoever you are) just met. A smile means I’m glad to meet you. An utterance of your name means with a smile I’m finally glad to meet you. A wink in an eye would mean that I like you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

now i know what to do when i meet you. pero di ako baduy, jologs lang.

Dabo said...

SLU?..

dean said...

UP College Baguio (now UP Baguio)