Thursday, August 23, 2007

fluctuations

Dean, namayat ka… (you’re getting thin)

O Dean, tumataba ka… (you’re getting bigger)

Yes, my weight is fluctuating. Some people from college or high school would say that I’ve lost weight. People I’ve met on my previous jobs would say that I’m getting bigger. Unlike most people who have maintained their figure through the years, I’ve struggled on being in shape.

My mom said that I started getting fat as soon as I had my first tooth extraction. It was hard to accept that I was already obese when I have graduated from high school especially when I didn’t feel like I’m one. Despite my size, had been able to do what other people can’t do, like cartwheels. The only difficulty that I had was finding the size of clothes that I wanted.

In college, I was a member of the badminton team. Due to the religious training that we had, I lost a little bit of “baby fats”. Time came when we had to represent our school for an athletic meet. I wasn’t chosen to play since the coach thought that I wouldn’t last on the day of competition.

I was a biology major. Most of my courses (specially botany) required students to explore the world. One time, we had to climb a mountain, Mt. Sto. Tomas I think. After the climb I got so sick and have not been able to attend classes for a week. I threw up everything I ate and had diarrhea. In a week, I lost more than 40 pounds! It was drastic. I felt so weak and most of all happy to shed all those weight. It was the start of living my new life. I said to myself never will I be fat again.

I transferred school. Joined the badminton team once more and this time I had the opportunity to play (but since I got so much to do, I decided not to go). I felt so happy being in the “new school” in my hometown where people I know since the beginning of time would compliment that I looked good. One time, in another school that I’ve transferred to, I was one of the heartrobs! Seriously! Hahaha!! Such fun memories!

I thought that the “dark” days of my life were over until I started working. Outsourcing is the flavor of the century. I worked in call centers – graveyard shifts, unscheduled meals, no exercise. The weight came back. In almost 4 years of working in shifts, I have developed hypertension. I didn’t realize I had this illness until I had myself check for a cough. My blood pressure reading on my check up was 140 – 80. The doctor asked me to monitor my blood pressure for a week and the results was a consistent 140 – 80 reading.

Hmmm… Now I know why I always have palpitations whenever I drink coffee. Okay, now I have a problem on how I could get a Starbucks planner for the next year!

I had to change my lifestyle. Good thing that my current assignment doesn’t require me to work at night. I have learned to control my diet. I had time for me to exercise. I lost a little bit of weight. Losing weight is not about aesthetics anymore (even if I’m doing this also because I’ll be in Boracay in a month!). Now, I am concerned about my health. Hope this time my weight won’t fluctuate up anymore.

1 comments:

. said...

When you look at my bunny interludes entries, you will find out how much I struggled in order to counter my weight problem. :)